Aluminium is a very light metal, about 65% lighter than steel or cast iron. It has a very high strength to weight ratio and excellent corrosion resistance. One of the oldest recorded uses of aluminium is the statue of Eros in London, cast in 1893.
The properties of aluminium - a sustainable material:
- Low whole life costs - compared to other materials
- Lightweight, durable and non-corrodible
- Designed to fully accommodate thermal movement at every joint
- Easy to handle and fix
- Life expectancy of aluminium: 40 years (rural/suburban areas); up to 25 years (industrial/marine areas)
- Aluminium is 100% recyclable